WASHINGTON – To use fireworks more safely,the Consumer Product Safety Commission offers these recommendations:
* Don't let young children play with fireworks. Even sparklers burn at very high temperatures and can easily ignite clothing.
* Light fireworks outdoors in a clear area away from houses,dry leaves or grass and flammable materials.
* Keep a bucket of water nearby for emergencies and for pouring on fireworks that don't go off.
* Don't try to relight or handle malfunctioning fireworks. Soak them with water and throw them away.
* Make sure other people are out of the way before lighting fireworks.
* Never ignite fireworks in a container,especially a glass or metal container.
* Keep unused fireworks away from firing areas.
* Store fireworks in a dry,cool place. Check the directions for special storage directions.
* Make sure fireworks are legal where you live.
* Don't experiment with homemade fireworks.